Your chance to contribute to new disability strategy
On 1 December 2011, the government announced a discussion with disabled people to gather suggestions for a new cross-government disability strategy.
The Government’s ambition is to enable disabled people to fulfill their potential and have opportunities to play a full role in society. To realise this ambition, they want to tackle barriers to realising aspirations and individual control, as well as change attitudes and behaviour towards disabled people.
A discussion document, containing questions covering these key areas has been co-produced by the Office for Disability Issues and disability organisations: Fulfilling Potential – Working together to enable disabled people to fulfil their potential and have opportunities to play a full role in society.
You can access the discussion document in three ways
1 Read the document:
- Fulfilling potential: a discussion document (PDF, 46 pages, 3.1 MB)
- Helping disabled people do the best they can and take part in their local area (Easy Read) (PDF, 35 pages, 1.5 MB)
2 Watch the British Sign Language video:
A summary of the discussion document and the discussion questions are available on YouTube.
3 Listen to an audio version:
- Introduction (mp3, duration: 1m 41s, 1.54 MB)
- Part 1 Minister’s foreword (mp3, duration: 8m 39s, 7.92 MB)
- Part 2 Realising aspirations (mp3, duration: 8m 32s, 7.82 MB)
- Part 3 Individual control (mp3, duration: 5m 35s, 5.12 MB)
- Part 4 Changing attitudes and behaviours (mp3, duration: 8m 27s, 7.74 MB)
- Part 5 How to take part in the discussion (mp3, duration: 3m 12s, 2.93 MB)
- Annex A part 1: Case studies – realising aspirations (mp3, duration: 6m 48s, 6.22 MB)
- Annex A part 2: Case studies – individual control (mp3, duration: 5m 46s, 5.29 MB)
- Annex A part 3: Case studies – changing attitudes and behaviour (mp3, duration:4m 46s, 4.37 MB)
- Annex B: What the evidence says (mp3, duration: 17m 15s, 15.7 MB)
- Annex C: UN Convention Articles (mp3, duration: 9m 19s, 8.53 MB)
Have your say
You can respond to the consultation questions on-line, by email or by post. Please note responses must be submitted by 9th March 2012.
- You can send your response to firstname.lastname@example.org
You can send your response to this address:
Office for Disability Issues (Disability Strategy Team),
Ground Floor, Caxton House,
6-12 Tothill Street,
London, SW1H 9NA
If you have questions about this discussion document or running your own event, you can contact the Disability Strategy Team.
- Telephone (switchboard): 020 7340 4000
- Email email@example.com