What is the BIG Group?
BIG stands for Being Involved Group and it is a group for people with a learning disability.
They discuss all issues to do with their lives, including health, housing and services.
It started with the government White Paper, ‘Valuing People’, which outlines how people with a learning disability have been excluded but should in the future be provided with the opportunity to live full and independent lives as part of the community.
What is self-advocacy?
It is people speaking up for themselves. People with a learning disability can make a real difference to service and delivery.
Self-advocacy can transform the lives of people with a learning disability to enable them to express their wishes and aspirations and to make real choices.
What does BIG do?
- We meet once a month to discuss issues relating to our lives.
- Many of our members attend meetings with outside agencies to put forward our views and play an active part in planning and designing services, which are responsive to our needs.
- We support people with a learning disability to speak up about things that are important to them
- We help to plan and deliver training for Knowsley Health Services
- We represent Knowsley at Conferences
- We are a voice for people with Learning Disabilities in Knowsley
Do you want to know more?
|0151 480 8883||BIGgroup@kdc.org.uk||Follow us on Facebook|