If you have a disability which affects your mobility you may qualify for a Blue Badge.
It allows you to park to park in ‘Blue Badge’ parking spaces, even if you aren’t the person driving.
If you meet at least one of the following criteria, you can apply for a Blue Badge:
- You receive the higher rate of the mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance
- You are severely sight impaired (blind)
- You received a score of 8 points or more under the ‘Moving Around’ activity of the mobility component of Personal Independence Payments.
- You receive a War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement
- You have had a payment under tariff 1 to 8 of the Armed Forces compensation scheme and are certified as having a permanent and substantial disability likely to last the rest of your life
- You have a permanent and substantial disability which makes walking difficult or impossible
- You have a severe upper limb disability in both arms and can drive a vehicle, but can’t turn a steering wheel by hand even if the wheel is fitted with a turning handle
- You belong to an organisation that uses a vehicle to transport disabled people
Children under 3 may also qualify for a badge if they have a medical condition which means that bulky medical equipment needs to be carried around with them, and / or they need to be near to a car in case they need speedy treatment.
How to apply
Apply in person at any One Stop Shop. If this is not possible, please contact us for advice. The fee for a Blue Badge is £10.
You can also download and print off the Blue Badge application form and fill it in beforehand to save time. Otherwise, staff at the One Stop Shop will help you fill in the form when you call in.
You will need to provide:
- Two passport standard photographs
- Two forms of identification. One photo ID such as a passport, bus pass or photocard driving licence, and at least one must show your current address and be dated within the last 12 months.
- Your most recent qualifying benefit award letter (within the last 12 months). See the list of qualifying benefits above.
- £10 administration fee
Please note, if you apply but do not have a qualifying benefit, you will have to undergo an independent mobility assessment. Please contact us for an application pack if you need to arrange an assessment.
How long your Blue Badge application will take
We will usually order your badge on the day you apply. You should receive it in the post within five working days.
If you are applying for a renewal of your current badge and need a mobility assessment we recommend that you apply at least six weeks before your badge runs out to ensure you receive your new badge in time.
You must fill in the application form and provide the documents requested. For more information about the blue badge scheme in Knowsley, call 0151 489 6000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.