Our Vision and Mission
Knowsley Disability Concern has been supporting local people who face challenges by reason of their disability for more than 30 years.
Originally established in 1977 as a service for adults with learning disabilities, KDC has developed and evolved into a modern, forward-thinking organisation specialising in delivering services to support local people to live independent lives in the community.
Our Vision is to see communities where all people are included, live independently and are valued as equal citizens
The 12 Basic Rights : Disabled People have identified twelve basic rights which, if met, would enable them to live independently and fully participate in society. KDC is committed to securing these needs, both locally and nationally.
- Full Access to our environment
- A fully accessible Transport system
- Technical Aids – Equipment
- Accessible/adapted Housing
- Personal Assistance
- Inclusive Education and Training
- An adequate Income
- Equal opportunities for Employment
- Appropriate and accessible Information
- Advocacy (towards self-advocacy)
- Appropriate and Accessible Health Care Provision
Nationally, we are a members of DIAL UK – the network of Disability Information and Advice Lines and the newly formed Disability UK.
KDC is governed by a Board of Trustees which takes responsibility for the overall direction of the charity – setting objectives and overseeing performance. The Board of Trustees has three committees which have special responsibility for the specific areas of customer service, personnel and finance.
Our staff team is made up of a number of experienced and highly skilled people who work to an agreed set of standards and have a common set of values.
Latest News & Events
- Radical thinking on Learning Disability – 2 September 2016
- Second Independent Review into PIP
- Older people denied personalised, effective and responsive care due to poor integration across local systems
- Direct Payments! – What are they? How can I access them?
- FREE Cookery Sessions at the CIL
- The Big Celebration – Volunteers Week (1 – 12 June)
- FREE upcoming courses in Kirkby and Huyton
- Pay it Forward Day – 28 April 2016
- Living with and beyond cancer
- Wellbeing Booster – 4 week FREE course in Huyton